“While riding on a subway, some people listen to the music; some people read a book; yours truly check out other’s shoe.”
I am a firm believer that “our past experiences influence every present action”. They shape us into who we are and what we become.
In my story, there are two experiences that influence my shoe obsession.
The first seed was planted when I read a short story by Roald Dahl called “The Umbrella Man” in the 5th grade (Oh yes, my love for shoes goes long back. I was in denial, but finally, accepted it and embraced my true love by signing up for regular shoe discount). There is a quote from the story “you can always spot a gentleman by the shoes he wears.” A right pair of shoes makes a great first impression. What I love about them is the fact that they contain someone’s personal history and define their personality.
Another experience happened during my childhood. I used to spend summer vacation at my grandparent’s house. My grandfather whom I call ‘Nana’ was very particular about his pair of black oxford shoes. He would come back from work and polish them every evening. I remember watching him diligently cleaning, polishing and shining them. He would never use liquid polish and would always prefer using a brush. He told, “never take a shortcut” (this is applicable to life). I still remember the satisfaction and smile on his face after shining his shoe. That’s why I love polishing them.
- You can read the umbrella man by Roald Dahl here.
- I bought a brown UGG (Jovin collection) after seeing someone wearing it on a subway.
- I own twelve pairs of shoes (five formal, two sneakers, one hiking boot, four casual). I am a big advocate of the minimalist lifestyle, but shoes are my weakness!
- My another weakness is Watch. I have a decent selection of watches which I don’t regularly wear, thanks to the Apple Watch.
- My favorite watch is a classic Citizen Watch gifted by nana on my 18th birthday. It has the sentimental value attached. It’s my lucky watch. I would always wear it during my exams. I have this feeling that he is always with me.
- I know that I haven’t written a lot lately. I can make excuses, but the truth is that I have been lazy. Yes, I’ll be writing and sharing my travel experiences soon.